Have you ever noticed that people who use chapstick carry it with them and use it obsessively? Did you ever wonder if it was because of the ingredients put in it?
In most cases, the skin care industry and the people who decide what is put inside our products are only interested in making our products;
- smell good,
- feel good on initial contact, and
- look good.
Many of the big companies do not care if it takes care of your skin long term or how it is detrimental to your overall health. They care about the instant gratification result. Other conventional skin care products, including lip balm, actually dry the skin out more so you continue to feel like you need more and have to purchase the product more. Have you ever seen the people who are totally addicted to putting lip balm or chapstick on and they do it countless times a day or hour? This is why.
When you use real products and ingredients that promote your wellness, you do not need much because your body is getting what it actually needs to heal itself overtime and feel good.
While we are working on doing amazing things for our body in the new year, concentrating on what we put inside is essential. In a perfect world, we are going to drink enough clean water, get all the nutrients our body needs from our diet, and the products we use will benefit our health and wellbeing.
But we do not live in a perfect world.
There are toxins in our water supplies and our soils have never been so depleted of nutrients. To combat that, we do the very best we can do everyday to help our bodies fight the toxic exposure we cannot control and focus on what we can control. We control the products that we bring in to our households and use on ourselves and families everyday.
Did you know that a lot of makeup, lipstick, and chapstick on the market have lead in them?!
Here’s a list of other ingredients found in skin care products that you want to stay away from:
- Parabens (Can be labeled as phonoxyethanol, methylparaben, propylparaben or others. These are known endocrine disruptors, causing hormone disruption and has been linked to increased risk of breast cancer.)
- Camphor (ingestion could cause fatal poisoning in small children)
- Formaldehyde (often labeled as DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, quaternium-15, bronopol, 5-Bromo-5-nitro-1, hydroxymethylglycinate)
- Tetrasodium edta
- Fragrances (synthetic compounds derived from petroleum, including benzene derivatives, aldehydes, and many other known toxins and sensitizers)
- Artificial Colors
- Mineral Oils (because of the trace chemical byproducts found in them from processing)
- Isopropyl Myristate (used to moisturize, but actually dries out and causes cracks in skin). It can also cause bacterial growth.
- Paraffin (Another petrochemical found as a byproduct of petroleum and toxic to our respiratory health).
And here is an ingredient list from Chapstick:
Ingredients: Arachidyl propionate, camphor, carnauba wax, cetyl alcohol, fragrance, isopropyl lanolate, isopropyl myristate, lanolin, light mineral oil, menthol, methylparaben, octyldodecanol, paraffin, phenyl trimethicone, propylparaben, red 6 lake, saccharin, white wax.
AND WE LET KIDS USE THIS?!
So we take these ingredients and slathering them all over our skin so they can be absorbed into our body. I don’t want you to use lipstick that if full of lead. Women eat tons of lead from their lipstick. Not ok. And don’t tell me it is cheaper, because the bad ingredients cause you to need more and more products that are just bandaids. It’s better to focus on health from the inside out. You will need less, feel better, and save way more in the long run!
Have you ever heard that if you don’t wash your face and leave makeup on your skin you will age faster? This is because of the nasty stuff that’s in it. Try adding minerals to your makeup. How about we get some good ingredients that are nourishing that our skins’ needs? How about you get yourself some Savvy Minerals Makeup that is Natural, Toxic Free, Chemical Free, Vegan Friendly and is going to last you a very long time? You’re going to look beautiful and you’re going to use a lot less because its stays on fantastically and is promoting your wellness not damaging it. You can have confidence bringing this into your home. It is safe and you’re going to love it! Some of the lipglosses, like Maven, even have Peppermint in them. So you’re going to taste Peppermint, not Lead. Peppermint or Lead? It’s totally your choice!
If you love making your own products like me, enjoy this simple lip balm recipe:
Ingredients (makes about 12 tubes):
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Beeswax
- 12 Drops of Favorite Essential Oils
*This time, I used Tea Tree essential oil, because it can help with cold sores and Thieves essential oil because it can help to promote a healthy immune system. Other favorites include using cinnamon, peppermint, lavender, and grapefruit. But be creative and have fun!
- Melt Cocounut Oil and Beeswax on low heat.
- Take off heat and add essential oils.
- Pour into tubes or balm container using a funnel.
- Enjoy having soft and nourished healthy lips without the toxic chemical consequences.
Watch a Video:
Ditch and Switch:
There are so many healthy benefits from making the switch and using the natural ingredients used in this simple recipe. You are going to save loads of money this way. And you won’t be exposing yourself to the toxic chemicals that are in your pricey, conventional lip balms and chapsticks. So why not?!
I’m so glad I’m able to share my wellness journey with you, one recipe at a time. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, and how I can continue to help!
How to get Started?
If you want to know how I got started using essential oils to increase my overall wellness or how you can improve your own wellness journey, start here.
Here are just a few resources to get you started while doing your own research:
… so many more. Knowledge is power, so have some fun!